At Jubb road the temperature was 44.7deg C on Monday – so hot we could have fried an egg on our car bonnet if we had had a car. Alas it is in Bentley, Perth with its engine in pieces showing a damaged cylinder head. The cooling system failed, a hose broke. Alan dealt with it as soon as he was able, which was very soon after the event but there was still collateral damage. There might be more to tell later in another post.
In the meantime back to the weather. It was so hot that Viv loaded me up in her car with one of the other camping wives and we sallied forth to Serpentine Falls to swim in the beautiful cool water of the two big clean rock-lined pools below the falls. I was so reminded of life in Muscat that I reminisced at length… We sat outside until quite late that night and enjoyed the sunset. Alan had attached a tarp to our awning which added to the pleasant cool of the evening. Meanwhile Alan sweated it out in Perth and found the train system very functional and cool. He also mentioned similarities to temperatures in Oman.
Said tarp, a light blue one, doubled the shade capacity and helped a lot on the hot days. But Tuesday was not such a hot day, instead it was a bit breezy, the flapping of the tarp drove me dilly… and then we were waiting for news from the mechanics… I struggled to work. The news came as described above and life went on but the wind increased. We tightened the ropes, gave the pegs extra blows to encourage them to stay put but all to no avail and we leapt out of bed at midnight to bring the whole thing down. We dealt with the tarp leaving it under weights for the morning and returned to bed. Not for long. the spring-loaded awning tried to break free next so we had to put that back into its place furled against the caravan roof. We did sleep after that, mercifully.
And today the wind has blown without respite, all day. As we had little shade we stayed indoors and worked away and rested too. Alan did comment in the last post that WA can mean Windy Always!! We have been promised rain and storms but although the sky has looked as if it was going to deliver it hasn’t yet. What has been delivered is a significant drop in temperature, necessitating jumpers and extra bed covers. Uncertain weather can affect one’s outlook on life, however we are together in it and support each other as we plan and research markets and fairs en route to Safety Beach and beyond. We swing between the certainty that we will move forward, adapting to changes as we go and some moments of deep gloom as we ponder why Fate sends us difficulties not of our own making. No answers come to mind in much the way we cannot predict the weather.
Support in difficult times comes in many forms and we are grateful for some wonderful friends here (Viv & Ray) and relatives .. all the girls and Kev & Angie …. for their moral support. We have to live from day to day right now as the car – minus it’s – unfortunate for us – destroyed head, is firmly planted in the workshop and the new one is now heading from Brisbane by “express courier”. This means anywhere up to a week to get here. We hope to survive the constant changes in both the weather and our fortunes in that period. The cost of said head is another very long story in itself and will be told in future instalments.
Needless to say marketing is out of the question as the “Tardis” has our stock in it. Even Alan is reciting the Serenity Prayer these days!!!!
Link to a couple of pics from Serpentine Falls